The book concentrates on the London Midland Region in the final years of steam traction covering the period 1948 to 1966. All major London Midland Region towns and cities are represented.
- A fascinating collection of hitherto unpublished black and white photographs by former Senior British Medical Council researcher, Ben Brooksbank.
- Over 275 photographs are included. – The photographs show remarkable clarity even though photographic materials were difficult to obtain during the immediate post-war period.
- Many different classes of locomotives are featured, ranging from the old Midland and LNWR engines ready for withdrawal in the late 1940s, the ex-MR Johnson 0-6-0s which would survive a little longer, the Fowler classes quietly going about their business, the Stanier Class 5 and 8Fs covered in grime, but still efficient, while a bit of ‘glamour’ is provided by (some) neatly turned out ‘Jubilee’ 4-6-0s and ‘Coronation’ Pacifics. The next generation of locomotives — the BR Standards — also appear, with the ‘Britannia’ Pacifics included along with Class 5 4-6-0s, Class 4 4-6-0s, Class 4 2-6-0s, Class 3 2-6-2Ts and the heavy freight 9F 2-10-0s.
- Photographs have been taken from the line-side, on station platforms, on shed, around a number of Works and along lines which have long since disappeared.
- The captions are well researched and include locomotive details as well as historical information about the various routes, stations and other architectural features.